The capital Tallinn is located in the north of Estonia. In the north of the city was a seaplane station Today, the station is closed and the installations are used by a museum.
During World War II
Map with the seaplane station on a MilGeo city map from 1940 (Source: mapywig.org)
Position 9 is the seaplane harbour, 9a an aircraft hangar (Source: mapywig.org)
During the Cold War
Tallinn's airfields on a satellite picture from 1967 (Source: U.S. Geological Survey)
Satellite image from June 1965. There are no planes visible. (Source: U.S. Geological Survey)
CIA report from January 1950 The terrain is about 165 feet x 330 feet. A stone hangar with five cupolas measures about 130 feet x 165 feet. The base has a concrete landing strip.
Four flying boats, twin-engine high-wing monoplanes with single rudder assembly and retractable floats at the wing tips, are stationed here.
Flying with individual planes, allegedly courier flights to Leningrad, are observed. A seaplane lands daily at 5 p.m.
Comment: The occupation by four flying boats apparently has not changed since late 1948. The described aircraft is definitely identified as the Soviet GST type. The plane may be a Soviet version of the Catalina type or an original lend-lease type.
Closed. The site with the former hangar now houses the Estonian Maritime Museum.